Monday, February 20, 2012

Scones for Baking and Making Memories

First off, I have to say I have a great sister! Bethany asked me what I thought about adding support to her blog while she was away on her trip around the world. I was a bit quiet at first but gave a cheerful response of, “Sure.”

After a total loss of what to make for the first posting, I sent four-way text message to my other siblings and asked what I should make for the blog. A unanimous response of “Make your scones,” was given. So I decided to go with that.

I first found out about said scones from my eldest brother, Noah. He worked at a local coffee shop in Newberg for a while during High School, and he memorized and wrote down the recipe. Being a recipe used to sell in a shop, the quantities of the ingredients are a little high, but you can easily down-size it. I will put a link for computers and a QR code for Smartphones to get the recipe near the bottom.

Overall this is not a very hard food to make, but something I have always enjoyed because it reminds me of my siblings.



The scones can come out very dry sometimes, which can mean a lot of crumbs. The milk used in them was provided from my relative Charlotte who runs a Creamery down the street next to Champoeg. She was also gracious enough to give me some homemade butter. The butter was an excellent addition to the scones.

Scone Recipe
Put into a bowl or mixer:
6 cups of flour
1-1/4 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
3 Tablespoons of baking powder
1 cup of butter

The original recipe said, "in little pieces," however I have found that melting the butter in a saucepan works better.

In a separate bowl put:
5 eggs
1 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Optional: You can put in two cups of another ingredient, too. Things like chocolate chips, berries, and other things like that; you're free to be creative.

Directions and Temperature: Set oven to 335F or 169C

Stir both bowls until each is mixed together

Put the wet mix of eggs, milk and vanilla into the dry mixes

Sprinkle flour onto counter and knead dough by hand. Since this is a quick bread, you'll want to make this process fast and be sure not to knead it too much.

Shape dough into triangle shapes and place on baking sheet.

Bake in oven for 28 minutes.

Jesse Buck
Jesse is Bethany Rydmark's {big} little brother. He is a junior in high school and lives on the family farm in St. Paul. He is a video game playing, combine driving, movie watching teenager who also may be found planting the garden, harvesting fresh veggies, snapping food photos in Hipstamatic, cooking dinner for special occasions, and spending an afternoon watching Julia Child episodes and cooking through stacks of recipes with his favorite sister.




Editor's note: I am so happy that Jesse likes spending time in the kitchen! Cheers to teenagers who use measuring cups and source raw milk...  ~Bethany

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

As a long-time scone addict, I applaud this post! Great recipe and fun story about your family. I think that half the fun of discovering a new recipe is hearing the story of how it came to be. :) And I concur with Bethany's note at the end ... I learned how to make basic meals and desserts when I was growing up and knowing how to do stuff like that really boosted my cooking confidence as an adult. Thanks for sharing!

Bethany ~ twoOregonians said...

Jesse! I'm so hungry for a bite of your scones right now. Can you maybe package them up and send them down? :)

I agree, Rebekah - I think the days of making endless batches of cookies as a kid taught me to be happy and comfortable in the kitchen, and that's an invaluable lesson for healthy living.

Love you, Jess! Thanks for writing :)

Charlotte said...

Yum, yum!! Great recipe for a brunch or party because of the size. Or a family with 6 children... Or two teenagers as in my case...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...