Monday, March 23, 2009

I JUST HAD A COW...


Well, not really...but I DID just buy 1/2 of a cow! This past week I started looking into buying a grass fed cow from local sources. Many ranches and farms will butcher a cow and sell it by quarters for a set price per pound. Often times it tends to be more economical, the only issue is if you have enough freezer space!

After emailing several ranches and farms I came across a man selling a cow up in Brush Prairie. He was selling it for the cheapest I've seen because the cow wouldn't breed and was just eating him out of house and home (or barn and field!) Anyways, after talking with him on the phone for a good while, I asked if I could come check out the cow in person.

After going to the Portland Farmers market (and getting some yummy items) Paul and I along with Ted and Bethany drove up to see our potential cow. Not only was the farm beautiful and expansive, it was very well maintained and healthy. The cow was HUGE! It stood as tall as a horse and was definitely the alpha cow. We talked more with the farmer and then amongst ourselves and decided to go for it!

I really enjoyed the whole process. Not only did I learn a bunch about the beef industry, but I really learned what questions to ask. Questions like: Does your price include the butchering/processing/wrapping fee? Has your cow had any injections, if so for what? How long does the meat last in the freezer without freezer burn? etc...

Overall it has been a really educational experience... and we're going to have meat for a long time!

Can't wait to see you all at our next meeting, Wednesday March 25th at 7pm.
~Emily

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Last June my husband and I purchased 1/2 a cow from Polyface Farm (profiled by Michael Pollan in the Omnivore's Dilemma.) We still have some of it left! It isn't freezer burned at all yet. It's been fabulous and so much cheaper than buying organic at the store. You'll totally enjoy it! Wish I lived close enough to join your little group. :)

~Heidi (friend of Bethany from Washington DC :))

Unknown said...

Nice! FYI -- if you want good beef next year, just let me know. My family raises beef and pork. It's delicious, super lean, and they are raised on seven acres with lots of fresh grass and water and space to run around. :-)

Emily said...

Heather, how did I not know that??? So cool! I think I'm in good shape in the beef department for a while, but I definitely could be convinced to buy some yummy pork!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...