Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Checking in...

Hello all! Can you believe the sunshine and snow (and gropple!) this week? With a few red leaves thrown into the mix we would have a full year's worth of seasons in less than seven days...

Anyway, this will be a short note...just mainly enough to say hi and to share a couple of tidbits.

Celebration* Emily worked her magic this week and made homemade pizza dough on which to lay our combined assortment of edible goods. Between her delicious mozzarella, Parmesan, mushrooms, olives, and pizza sauce and my dehydrated heirloom and cherry tomatoes, frozen basil, and frozen pesto from last summer's harvest, plus a little TJ's olive oil...we had a feast. My camera is currently out of commission, otherwise I would have loved to take a picture of our beautiful masterpiece... In keeping with out eclectic natures, it was a rectangular pizza. :)

Food for Thought* I came across this article about the example of the Hawaiian Islands as a case study for food sustainability issues. Hawaii is a telling microcosm of global agriculture, health, land use, and food security concerns...

Anticipation* Lucy Hardiman will be joining us in two weeks for our next meeting (May 25th at Emily's place). She will be sharing about the current state of affairs related to Portland community gardens and the Pacific Northwest foodshed... Lucy is a dear friend, a native Oregonian, a garden writer/designer/speaker/extraordinaire and a very generous heart. I'm excited that we will be able to host her...

Word on the street* (Sorry! It was just the first phrase to jump into my head.) I've just found out about another interesting sounding documentary: Food Fight. Take a peak...



Lastly, any thoughts on Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? I just returned my library copy...so if any of you had it on hold, it should be arriving shortly :)

Take care,
Bethany

5 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so excited to meet Lucy! This next meeting is going to be awesome...invite your friends!

Emily said...

Good video!!

SUMMER WHERE ARE YOU???? Seeing the Farmer's Markets on the video makes me so anxious for May!

Unknown said...

Yay! That pizza sounds amazing ;). Well done. I finished Animal Vegetable Miracle a couple days ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely more inspiration to eat local as often as possible :). And I've just joined the community garden program through our friends Dave and Nancy Brown at Mustard Seed Farms here. Huzzah! Looking forward to the next get together :).

Bethany Rydmark said...

Yay! Mustard Seed is out right next door to my parents' property! I stopped in there last summer and had a nice chat... I'm ashamed to say I lived as a neighbor for several years without ever knowing exactly what they were up to... No that I no longer live down there, I keep trying to talk my little brother Jesse into getting involved. He wants to be a chef -- time to get his hand dirty growing some food....

I'm excited for our next evening meet up, too! And PS - The PSU Farmer's Market opens up next Saturday!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, Mustard Seed Farms is wonderful. We all call Dave "Farmer Brown" ;). They have over 75 acres of certified organic farmland, and they're actually just restarting their CSA which will have a drop-point every Tuesday at North Valley Church here in Newberg. I miss gardening though, so for this year I'll be doing that program instead of the CSA. But it's good to have options :-).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...