Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Official Sustainable Food for Thought Website is UP!

Hello!

Thanks to all you ladies who came over last night for our first food group meeting! Bethany and I enjoyed meeting and seeing each of you and hearing your ideas and feedback about future get-togethers. For this week I will be working on getting everyone cleared as administrators so we can share fun ideas and discussion topics.

Here's a thought for the day...
Last night after everyone left I took my oatmeal out of the fridge, measured a half cup, added leftover warm water and 2Tb of whey and put it in the turned-off oven. This morning I took it out and cooked it for 5min. (That's all it needed since it had been soaking). I added Adam's Crunchy peanut butter, cinnamon, and some homemade applesauce. It was so good, so filling and so energizing. I was on my way to work thinking about things I had to get done and I kept noticing how good I felt. I didn't just notice once but several times how content and peaceful and happy I was. Maybe the oatmeal had nothing to do with it, but I do think it's important to "listen" to our bodies and take note of how we feel after downing a coke, an apple, cheesecake, or a bowl of oatmeal.

Can't wait to meet with you all again in January. For those of you who were not there but interested in coming to the January meeting, we are reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan for discussion.

Peace,
Emily

5 comments:

Bethany Rydmark said...

Hey! Thanks for getting this up and running, Emily. Looks good. I really enjoyed meeting up with everyone last night...

Funny thing - I had oatmeal for breakfast today, too... (But - time for confessions - it was microwaved.) Yours sounded delicious!

Ash said...

How funny... I just had oatmeal for dinner - stovetop cooked. :) I used Farmer's Martket honey, cinnamon, and a handful of raw cranberries. Tasty. I hadn't thought about soaking the oats before, thanks for the tip Em. The website looks FABULOUS!!!

Ash said...

oh by the way... my profile pic is of a milk man leaving glass milk quarts on doorsteps in the wee hours of the morning during our London layover.
We thought it was so interesting and wished that delivery continued in the States.

Elliott Downing said...

yeah for oatmeal (or other hot cereal) - its my favorite. And thanks for the peanut butter idea - I hadn't thought of that. :)

Questions for you (although I know I asked before) - why do you soak your oats overnight? does this apply to all grains (ie my multi-grain or buckwheat cereals?) and what resource did you find the information in? (is it in our list from the handout you gave us?) Maybe you can post your answers as your next blog topic!

Emily said...

Hey Andrea,

Great question about soaking grains! I'll make that my next blog entry :) I know the Weston A. Price website will have info on it as well. See you on Turkey Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...